Short Documentary Synopsis:
A one-day shoot where the entire crew is deaf, except an aspiring hearing production coordinator who comes to work without knowing the life-changing experience that awaits him.
Cast: Brian Woodford
Director of Photography: Alexandra Hickox
Director/Producer: Nicola Di Capua
Film Award Ceremony:
At The Chang Film Festival 2019, Nicola Di Capua, Director of “Step Into My World,” had been nominated for the ‘Best Documentary Short’ award. Film Director Di Capua won the ‘Grand Jury Prize’ Award!
Canadian and World – Film Festivals and Screenings:
Nicola Di Capua was incredibly humbled and honoured that his short documentary film “Step Into My World” has been selected by The Chang Film Festival 2019 and ReelAbilities Toronto Film Festival 2018.
“Step Into My World” was screened at the Jackman Hall – Art Gallery of Ontario [ https://elxchang.blog.ryerson.ca/film-hub/ ] on Friday, February 8, 2019, and at the Innis Town Hall – University of Toronto on Sunday, June 3, 2018 [ http://reelabilities.org/toronto/film/step-into-my-world/ ] respectively.
“Step into my World” has also been selected as a semi-finalist in Cinema Touching Disability Film Festival (Austin, Texas) on September 29, 2017.
Furthermore, “Step Into My World” generates, without doubt, dialogue in Nicola Di Capua’s public speaking presentations. By presenting his film, Nicola explains the inequity and disability accessibility issues while increasing awareness of language and attitudinal barriers encountered by people who are D/deaf or hard of hearing on a daily basis.
“Step Into My World” has been presented to the following audiences:
– Reel Access – Improving Accessibility at Toronto Film Festivals (May 2019)
– Accessibility Project Showcase at Ryerson University (April 2019)
– CIBC RM Inclusion and Diversity Action Committee (April 2019)
– Accessible Media Inc. (March 2019)
– Rumball Camp of the Deaf (August 2018)
– Ontario Arts Council – Conseil des arts de l’Ontario (June 2018)
– CIBC’s “WorkAbility” Employee Network (June 2018)
– ReelAbilities Toronto – “Deaf Films in the Making” Panel Discussion (June 2018)
– What’s Your Impact?, Ryerson University (January 2018)
– National Disability Employment Awareness, University of Calgary (October 2017)
– Laurentian University (June 2017)
– Reclaiming Our Bodies & Minds Conference, York University (March 2017)
– The Coalition for Persons with Disabilities, Employment Agency (December 2016)